List of all Library subscription databases, organized by general subject (usually by School/College)
List of selected databases, arranged by topic, with in-depth descriptions
Alphabetical list of selected databases:
Guides - Library Services and Detailed Database Search Hints and Examples. Database Tutorials
- Georgia Tech Library Catalog. Contains books, journals, conference proceedings, maps, and other materials owned by the Georgia Tech Library. Search hints: slides http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bw21/2gil.pdf or http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bw21/gilei.htm
- Compendex and Inspec - search together (journals and conferences)
- Inspec 1896+ Over 3,500 scientific and technical journals and some 1,500 conference proceedings, as well as selected books, reports and dissertations in the areas of electrical engineering, computer engineering, physics, electronics, communications, computers and control, mechanical and production engineering, and information technology in business. Combine with Compendex.
- Compendex 1884+ Contains almost 7.5 million records referencing 5,000 major engineering journals and major engineering conference materials. Combine with Inspec (20% overlap).
- NTIS 1964+ Technical Reports. Citations and abstracts from unclassified government-sponsored research reports from the Departments of Defense, Department of Energy, NASA, EPA, and other federal agencies, and selected international government departments and organizations. Search NTIS to identify technical reports. The Georgia Tech library holds over 2,500,000 technical reports (microfiche collection). Selected full text reports are available through agency internet sites (DoD, DOE, NASA/NACA, EPA, ERIC, etc.) . Technical Reports Research Guide (LibGuide)
- Aerospace Database 1962+ Available ProQuest. Provides bibliographic coverage of basic and applied research in aeronautics, astronautics, and space sciences. In addition to periodical literature, the database includes coverage of reports issued by NASA, other U.S. government agencies, international institutions, universities, and private firms. Can combine with other ProQuest databases, such as NTIS, Materials Research, etc.
- Applied Science & Technology Abstracts 1913+ Provides citations and abstracts to journals, industry and trade publications, society publications and specialized periodicals in science, engineering and technology. Good general science journal index.
- BIOSIS Citation Index (Thomson Reuters) (biology) Coverage dating back to 1926. It is a comprehensive reference database for life science research. Find information in virtually every life sciences discipline, including traditional biology (botany, ecology, zoology), interdisciplinary subjects (biochemistry, biomedicine, and biotechnology), and related areas such as instrumentation and methods. BIOSIS can be combined with Medline and Web of Science using Web of Science "All Databases" (drop down menu, top of screen).
- Business and management. "Business & Management," "Company Information," "Georgia & Atlanta Business," "Industry Information," "International Business." All guides are compiled by Patricia Kenly
- CRCnetBASE (formerly ENGnetBASE) Selected CRC engineering handbooks
- Derwent Innovations Index (patents ; Thomson Reuters; 1963 to present) facilitates rapid, precise patent searching and merges the value-added patent information from Derwent World Patents Index with the patent citation information from Derwent Patent Citation Index. Conduct powerful patent and citation searches of inventions in chemical, electrical, electronic, and mechanical engineering. Use additional descriptive information and coding to quickly grasp a patent’s significance and its relationship to other patents. Tutorial available. Part of Web of Science.
- Dissertations. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses A&I 1861+ (selected 1639+). Citations and abstracts of doctoral dissertations at U.S. accredited institutions, along with selected Masters' theses and selected foreign dissertations. The ProQuest Dissertations and Theses A&I database is the world’s most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world. Theses & Dissertations by GT Authors --> After fall 2012, relatively few Georgia Tech dissertations are likely to be added to the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses A&I database. Check the Georgia Tech Library SMARTech and Catalog databases for links to full text Georgia Tech student dissertations and theses; the WorldCat database will continue to index Georgia Tech dissertations and theses. The WorldCat Dissertations and Theses (OCLC) database (a subset of the larger WorldCat database) will pick up some dissertations not available in the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses A&I database.
- Energy. "SciTech Connect" consolidates the contents of OSTI's DOE Information Bridge (full-text document coverage primarily from 1991 forward) and Energy Citations Database (DOE publicly available citations from 1948 through the present). The NTIS database indexes DOE reports 1964+.
- Environmental Science Collection (ProQuest) Combine with other ProQuest databases, such as NTIS
- ERIC (1966 to present). Educational Resources Information Center. Available as EBSCO, FirstSearch and ProQuest (select any ProQuest database; "change databases" top row; check box for ERIC).
- IEEE Xplore Check the GT Library Catalog for papers not in IEEE Xplore. Use the combined Inspec and Compendex databases for keyword/author searches (IEEE Xplore uses Inspec abstracts), then use IEEE Xplore for document delivery of 1988+ IEEE, IET, and IEE papers.
- Knovel Library. With a focus on engineering and scientific references, the collection contains over 1,300 books. Subject areas include chemistry and plastics, materials science, environmental science, microelectronics materials, electrical engineering, electronic engineering, chemical engineering, systems engineering, food sciences, and mechanical engineering.
- Materials Research Database 1966+ ProQuest's comprehensive source for citations to literature on metals and alloys. Can combine with other ProQuest databases, such as NTIS and Aerospace.
- Medline 1950+ PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/advanced). The U.S. National Library of Medicine's (NLM) premier bibliographic medical and biomedical journal database. Can be combined with BIOSIS and Web of Science and other Web of Science databases by choosing "All Databases" (using the drop down menu at the top of the screen).
- PAIS. Public Affairs Information Service 1915+ Search multiple ProQuest databases at one time, removing duplicate records; "Change databases" top right of screen, then "Use selected databases" after checking relevant databases. Additional Social science and public policy Research Guides: public policy, international affairs, history and sociology, government, economics, business, company & industry, environmental engineering, education, statistics, psychology
- Patent and Trademark Office (US Patents). This searchable database of patents from the United States Patent and Trademark Office includes patents from 1790. Patents from 1790 through 1975 are searchable only by Patent Number and Current US Classification. Patents granted from 1976 are text-searchable.
- Patent databases and guides. Patents. Free download/print full text PDFs of patents: search by patent number using USPTO, pat2pdf.org, Patent Fetcher, espcenet (U.S. and selected "worldwide“) European patents, and Google Patents.
- SciFinder Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) databases: CHEMICAL ABSTRACTS (1907+)
- Standards Research Guide (LibGuide). GT subscriptions to ASTM and IEEE standards.
- Technical Reports Research Guide
- TRID (transportation): TRIS and ITRD databases. Transportation Research Board. TRID contains more than 900,000 records of references to books, technical reports, conference proceedings, and journal articles in the field of transportation research.
- Web of Science "All Databases" (Thomson Reuters). To combine all databases, choose "All Databases" (drop down menu, at the top of the screen). Includes Web of Science Core Collection [Web of Science Citation databases provide access to research literature through standard access points and to cited references (bibliographies, footnotes) published with a scholarly paper. Includes: Science Citation Index Expanded 1900-; Social Sciences Citation Index 1956-; Arts & Humanities Citation Index 1975-; Conference Proceedings Citation Index- Science 1990-; Conference Proceedings Citation Index Social Science & Humanities 1990-; Book Citation Index Science 2005-; Book Citation Index Social Sciences & Humanities 2005-; Current Chemical Reactions 1985- includes Institut National de la Propriete Industrielle structure data back to 1840; Index Chemicus 1993-]. Other Web of Science databases include: BIOSIS Citation Index (1926- life sciences and biomedical research); Data Citation Index (1900 research data, including data studies, data sets from international data repositories); Derwent Innovations Index (1963- value-added patent information from Derwent World Patent Index as well as patent citation information from Patents Citation Index); MEDLINE (1950-. U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM) life sciences database); SciELO Citation Index (1997- scholarly literature in sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities published in open access journals from Latin American, Portugal, Spain and South Africa); Zoological Record (1864-). Includes tutorials.
- WorldCat World's most comprehensive collection of bibliographic records from library catalogs worldwide, containing over 52 million records cataloged by OCLC member libraries. Includes books, manuscripts, websites and internet resources, maps, computer programs, musical scores, films and slides, newspapers, journals and magazines (not articles), sound recordings, and videotapes. Includes records representing 400 languages.