How to Obtain Full Text Copies
Non GT Community
Search the NTIS database to identify technical reports. GT subscription NTIS database or free
Internet Sources: selected technical reports are freely available on the Internet, many from the issuing agencies such as DOE, DoD (DTIC), EPA, and NASA
- Georgia Tech users should use the subscription NTIS (ProQuest) database to search for technical reports.
- SciTech Connect (U.S. Department of Energy) consolidates the contents of OSTI's DOE Information Bridge (full-text document coverage primarily from 1991 forward) and Energy Citations Database (DOE publicly available citations from 1948 through the present). SciTech Connect contains bibliographic records for energy and energy-related scientific and technical information from the Department of Energy (DOE) and its predecessor agencies, the Energy Research & Development Administration (ERDA) and the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC).
- DTIC Public Technical Reports (Department of Defense). Provides access to citations of unclassified unlimited documents that have been entered into DTIC's Technical Reports database, as well as the electronic full-text of selected documents. The database has over 850,000 public release records
- NTRS NACA and NASA Technical Reports Server. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Coverage: 1917- NACA (National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics) is the predecessor organization to NASA. Server includes some full text NASA reports. NACA reports are 1917-1958. A full text UK archive of digitised NACA Reports is maintained by the AERADE team of Cranfield University.
- NTRL. The Department of Commerce National Technical Information Service (NTIS) free searchable technical reports database; selected electronic reports are full text. Georgia Tech users should use the subscription NTIS (ProQuest) database to search for technical reports. See also http://libguides.gatech.edu/techreports/full-text
- National Environmental Publications Internet Site (NEPIS) Coverage: 1997- EPA's electronic documents site allows you to search, view and print, including full images of all original pages and full-text, from a collection of over 11,000 archival and current documents. Includes 400 Series (Air and Radiation, OAR), 500 Series (Solid Waste and Emergency Response, OSWER), 600 Series (Research and Development, ORB), 700 Series (Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances, OPPTS) and 800 Series (Water, OW) and more. The Library maintains an extensive collection of older EPA technical reports on microfiche. Contact Information Services at (404) 894-4530 for more information
- Virtual Technical Reports Center The University of Maryland’s Virtual Technical Reports Center contains links to institution technical reports (full-text or extended abstracts), preprints, reprints, dissertations, theses, and research reports.
- TRAIL - Technical Report Archive & Image Library (selected reports). Search selected U.S. government technical reports, issued primarily prior to 1975 and digitized by the TRAIL Working Groups.
- HathiTrust includes selected government documents. Click on "Full View only". Digitized by Google. Catalog search is available.
- ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center) 1966- Selected full text technical reports.
The Georgia Tech Library holds over 2,000,000 microfiche technical reports (located in remote storage). The period from 1960 to 2007 is the most heavily represented, although older reports dating from 1900 are available.
Examples of designations of unclassified technical report accession/order numbers are PB (various agencies), DE (Dept. of Energy), N (NASA), and AD (Dept. of Defense). The ADD designation consists of patents (not technical reports) applied for through the Dept. of Defense (check one of the patent databases under the title, likely patentee or subject. The ADP designation consists of individual papers presented at a conference; the ADA number for the entire conference will be needed to find these papers in our microfiche collection.
Georgia Tech students and faculty/staff can request copies of reports by filling out an ILLiad request form. Please indicate in the ILLiad "Notes" field that this is a technical report, and mention where it was cited (in a NTIS database record, etc.).
- Selected electronic and print technical reports are listed in the Catalog. Check the NTIS database record for an alternative source. Occasionally an alternative paper source, such as a journal article or conference proceeding will be specified in NTIS. If such a source is listed, the Catalog should be searched to determine availability.
How to Obtain Full Text Copies
For individual technical reports, Georgia Tech students and faculty/staff should request copies of technical reports by filling out an ILLiad request form. Please indicate in the ILLiad "Notes" field that this is a technical report, and mention where it was cited (in the NTIS database, etc.).
Non GT Community
Order from NTIS
NASA Center for AeroSpace Information (CASI)
Online Order Form
Subject Librarians provide GT students and faculty/staff with expert quick and in-depth reference and search assistance.
For individual technical reports, Georgia Tech students and faculty/staff can request copies of technical reports by filling out an ILLiad request form. Please indicate in the ILLiad "Notes" field that this is a technical report, and mention where it was cited (in the NTIS database, etc.).
All Research Guides (includes lists of databases). All Databases
For additional indexes to technical reports, see: Major Indexes for Technical Reports.