Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Information for GTRI
For free one-on-one in-depth and quick assistance searching the Library databases on your research topics, assistance searching the Department of Defense DTIC R&E Gateway controlled access technical reports databases, and for customized group instruction/demonstrations via BlueJeans, contact:
Bette Finn, GTRI Subject Librarian. Email: email@example.com
GTRI databases, by subject (detailed descriptions, by topic)
Search hints database comparison charts (Inspec/Compendex, ProQuest, Web of Science, EBSCO platforms)
Document delivery of photocopies and book loans for GTRI faculty and staff (In-house and interlibrary loan)
DTIC's R&E Gateway access controlled Department of Defense's technical reports databases. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Linking to Library resources: Start at the Library home page (Databases, Journals, Library Catalog, Research Guides). Citation Linker (DOI ...). Remote access VPN.
Search Hints for GT Catalog and databases (combined Inspec/Compendex engineering/electronics/computing/physics, NTIS reports, ProQuest aerospace and dissertations, cited references, etc.).
Copyright, scholarly communication, open access, data management
Professional Master's Degree in Applied Systems Engineering (PMASE)
DTIC R&E Gateway reports databases. GTRI Databases and ILLiad
Databases, Core and Related
Related Databases (Alphabetical)
- ABI/INFORM - management science, business and company information. (ProQuest). Citations and selected full text. Journals, profiles, wire feeds and more. Selected full text
- AccessEngineering. McGraw-Hill engineering handbooks. See also Knovel and Taylor & Francis handbook databases
- AccessScience McGraw-Hill science reference materials
- Advanced Technologies and Aerospace. Click on top row "Change databases" and check left column box for "Advanced Technologies & Aerospace Collection" (1962+) then click on "Use selected databases." Indexes journal and conference proceedings papers, technical reports. Selected full text. Can combine with other ProQuest databases
- Agricultural & Environmental Science Collection. Includes Agricola and Toxline, and content previously in ESPM and Environmental Impact Statements. Can combine with other ProQuest databases (Change databases, top row)
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts. EBSCOhost (HW Wilson) 1983+. Indexes both scholarly and trade core journals. Selected full text. 1983+
- Applied Science & Business Periodicals Retrospective: 1913-1983. (H.W. Wilson). Combined Industrial Arts Index, Applied Science and Technology Index Retrospective and the Business Periodicals Index Retrospective. 1913-1983
- ASME Digital Library
- BIOSIS. Clarivate Analytics. 1926+ Life sciences. If "Select a database" menu is incorrect use VPN. "All Databases" "More Settings" combines multiple databases such as BIOSIS and Medline and Web of Science Core Collection.
- Books and handbooks: GT Library Catalog; Knovel, McGraw-Hill AccessEngineering and AccessScience; Taylor & Frances; E-book collections. See "Books" tab (row)
- Business, company information and management science. Research guides. See TABS at top of the screen for Company Profiles, Industry Profiles, Market Share, Business Rankings, Company Directories, Databases, etc. Compiled by P. Kenly
- Derwent Innovations Index (patents). Clarivate Analytics 1963+ Value-added patent titles and abstracts. Information from Derwent World Patents Index and patent citation information from Derwent Patent Citation Index. Worldwide
- Dissertations (Georgia Tech students). Full text Georgia Tech student theses and dissertations are available in the SMARTech repository and are linked in Georgia Tech Library Catalog records
- Dissertations. ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. Comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses; worldwide. From 1743. Over 5 million citations and 2.7 million full-text works from thousands of universities. Database offers full text for most dissertations added since 1997, with selected full text prior to 1997. Full-text Georgia Tech dissertations are available 1997 to 2012. Georgia Tech doctoral students may elect to submit their dissertations to ProQuest Dissertations for processing and distribution.
- DTIC's Public Technical Reports database. Access to citations of unclassified, unlimited DTIC's Public documents, as well as selected full-text Public documents. Top row search box ("Search this site, DoD S&T Reports, and more..."). Georgia Tech subscription NTIS database links to many full text technical report PDFs
- Energy - Department of Energy (DOE). Publicly available. OSTI, DOE. Full-text primarily 1991+ and bibliographic index Energy Citations Database 1948+. Georgia Tech subscription NTIS database links to many full text technical report PDFs
- Engineering Index - Compendex. Combine with Inspec. Check both boxes. 1884+ Indexes major engineering journal and conference proceedings papers. Combine with Inspec (20% overlap) - check both database boxes. Engineering Village
- Environmental Science Collection. ProQuest. Part of the Agricultural & Environmental Science Collection. Limit to only Environmental Science and/or combine with other ProQuest databases: "Change databases" (top row); check boxes "Use selected databases"
- ERIC. ProQuest and EBSCOhost. 1966+ Can search ProQuest’s ERIC and Education Database simultaneously: click on "Change databases" (top row), check boxes for ERIC and Education Database then "Use selected databases" (free at https://eric.ed.gov/)
- Funding opportunities. (1) Pivot: Funding, Profiles, Conferences, Awarded Grants. Advanced Search. Pivot unifies researcher Profiles and global Funding Opportunities. Variety of funders such as US Federal Government, Non-US National Government, State, Province or Local Government, Professional Society or Association, Private Foundation or Non-Profit (2) SAM.gov (FedBizOpps): Contract Opportunities are procurement notices from federal contracting offices, including pre-solicitation notices, solicitation notices, award notices, and sole source notices. (3) Grants.gov for grant opportunities. (4) OSP. Georgia Tech Office of Sponsored Programs: Find Funding; Types of Funding (5) Government Guide Grants/Funding tab
- Georef. 1785+ Geoscience literature of the world.
- IEEE Xplore. Full-text access to Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers transactions, journals, magazines and conference proceedings published since 1988 and IEEE standards. Selected IEEE papers before 1988. Selected IET (IEE) conference papers since 1988. Includes subject terms: IEEE, Inspec Controlled and Inspec Non-Controlled. Note, IEEE papers are indexed by combined Compendex/Inspec databases
- INFORMS PubsOnline. Indexes the publications of INFORMS (The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences)
- InnovationQ (patents). Discovery platform for U.S. and foreign patents and non-patent literature. Visualize research results and identify innovation trends and market potentials; number of users is 10. See also Derwent Innovations Index patent database
- Inspec. physics, electrical/computer engineering, electronics, computers and control, mechanical, production engineering, and more. 1896+ Check both database boxes - Compendex and Inspec (only 20% overlap). Journal and conference papers
- Inspec Analytics. Explore Inspec connected data to uncover patterns and trends for various engineering disciplines. Acess via Inspec top row, Search, drop down menu choice Inspec Analytics. Inspec Analytics user guide
- Journal Citation Reports (JCR). Clarivate Analytics (formerly Thomson Reuters/ISI). Comprised of Science and Social Sciences Editions. Evaluate and compare journals using citation data drawn. Also includes the Essential Science Indicators (top row). Use VPN
- Knovel. Focus on engineering and scientific references; over 800 handbooks. References deeply searchable; advanced field searching
- Library services for GT students (right column)
- LinkedIn Learning. "As a current faculty, staff and/or student at Georgia Tech, you have unlimited access to an online library of high-quality instructional videos on the latest software tools and skills"
- Management science, business, company information Research Guides. Management science; company and business information, such as ABI/Inform Collection. Tabs for company profiles, industry profiles, databases, and more
- Materials Science & Engineering Collection. 1965+ Click on top row "Change databases" and check left column box for "Materials Science & Engineering Collection" and click on "Use selected databases." Indexes scholarly journals, trade and industry journals, conference proceedings, and more. Can combine multiple ProQuest databases into one search
- MathSciNet (AMS). 1940+ MathSciNet is a comprehensive database covering the world's mathematical literature
- Medline (biomedicine). Clarivate Analytics (Thomson Reuters). Medline 1950+ The U.S. National Library of Medicine's bibliographic medical and biomedical journal database. If Select a database menu is incorrect use VPN. Can be combined with BIOSIS and Web of Science platform databases by choosing "All Databases" (using the drop down menu at the top of the screen) and "More settings" (check left column boxes). PubMed (includes Medline). Older print index: Current list of medical literature 1941-1959.
- Military Database. ProQuest. Covers topics across all government and military branches, including international relations, political science, criminology, defense, aeronautics and space flight, communications, civil engineering, and more.
- NTIS (technical research reports, U.S. Government sponsored). Containing millions of bibliographic records, this database is the preeminent resource for accessing the latest research sponsored by the United States and select foreign governments. Many records link to full text PDFs of government research reports and documents (included in the Library's subscription; "Full text" icon then NTRL PDF upper left). Dates back to 1964. Engineering Village platform
- NTRS NASA. 1917+ Indexes National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and NACA aerospace information. Selected full text. Georgia Tech subscription NTIS database links to many full text technical report PDFs
- PaperChem. 1967+ Indexes international literature related to pulp and paper technology. Journal articles, conference papers and selected reports. Engineering Village platform
- Patents & Trademarks Research Guide. (1) Derwent Innovations Index for "value-added" title and abstract searching of U.S. and foreign patents (1963+); (2) InnovationQ discovery platform; (3) USPTO Patent Public Search tool is a new web-based patent search application that will replace USPTO's PatFT and AppFT, full images; (4) espcenet U.S. and selected worldwide full image patents; (5) WIPO; (6) Free full image U.S. patents pat2pdf.org, (7) Google patent search; (8) Additional patent information
- Pivot Funding & Profiles. Georgia Tech subscription. If accessing from off-campus, use VPN or create an account. All disciplines. Can create accounts to save searches and receive funding alerts. Pivot combines the funding opportunity database with a database of millions of faculty profiles. In order to use Pivot, you need to either be hard networked on-campus or using a VPN. After you create a Pivot account, you can then sign in with your GT email and the password you set up for the account when accessing PIVOT from off-campus. Pivot: Funding, Profiles, Conferences, Awarded Grants. Pivot Funder types: US Federal Government, Non-US National Government, State, Province or Local Government, Multinational Organization, Commercial or Private Sector, Professional Society or Association, Private Foundation or Non-Profit
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (see Dissertations)
- Reaxys. Successor to the CrossFire system, merging the content from three major sources of data: Beilstein, Gmelin and a Patent Chemistry Database. Information in organic, inorganic and organometalic chemistry.
- SAE MOBILUS. SAE International Digital Library. Formerly Society of Automotive Engineers. More than 200,000 industry-leading technical papers, standards, reports, books, magazines, and other content
- Science Citation Index Expanded. 1900+ Part of Web of Science Core Collection. Clarivate Analytics. Access to research literature through standard access points and to cited references (bibliographies, footnotes) published with a scholarly paper. The Cited Reference Search enables you to find articles that have cited a specific work by an author. Can be combined with other Web of Science platform databases (Medline, Derwent, etc.)
- SciFinder. Access to Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) databases. Indexes journal/conference papers and patents. CAS Registry, substance and chemical reaction information, commercial sourcing information. SciFinderⁿ training
- SCOPUS (Elsevier). Scopus is an abstract and citation database (documents that cite a specific paper). "Cited by in Scopus" (or "cited x times in Scopus since 1996") is available in many article Elsevier Engineering Village’s Inspec and Compendex records. Consider also using the Web of Science platform for cited references.
- Springer Materials (Landolt-Bornstein). Resource for physical & chemical data in materials science: 250,000 Substances & Material Systems, 3,000 Properties, 1,200,000 Literature Citations
- Standards Research Guide. Free and subscription standards databases. The Georgia Tech Library subscribes to full text IEEE, ASTM, SAE, and ASCE standards, and selected AASHTO and ACI standards
- Taylor & Francis. Check box for "Show content I have access to" (Filter By) or search all and request non-GT chapter PDFs through ILLiad. After a search, can "Filter By" (left column) to only "Engineering & Technology" or before a search "Subjects" (top row) and limit by collection. Can Filter By "Subjects" to Ebook Collection such as ENGnetBase
- Technical Reports Research Guide. Georgia Tech Library. Variety of technical research reports databases. Georgia Tech subscription NTIS database links to many full text technical report PDFs
- TRID: Transportation Research Information Services. TRID - the TRIS and ITRD Database Online. Transportation Research Board
- Web of Science Core Collection. Access to research literature through standard access points and to cited references (bibliographies, footnotes; Cited Reference Search) published with a scholarly paper. Science Citation Index Expanded 1900+, Social Sciences Citation Index Expanded 1900+, Conference Proceedings Citation Index 1990+, Arts & Humanities Citation Index 1975+, Book Citation Index 2005+, Current Chemical Reactions 1985+, and Index Chemicus 1993+.
- Web of Science Platform. Clarivate Analytics. All or selected databases can be searched (check relevant boxes). Access to research literature through standard access points and to cited references (bibliographies, footnotes) published with a scholarly paper. Web of Science Core Collection 1900+. BIOSIS Citation Index 1926+ life sciences. Data Citation Index. Derwent Innovations Index 1963+ for value-added patent titles and abstracts. MEDLINE® 1950+ biomedical. Zoological Record 1864+, and more.
- WorldCat (library catalogs). OCLC WorldCat database is the OCLC online catalog. It contains over 43 million records describing library holdings
GTRI Subject Guide
GTRI Subject Librarian
Georgia Tech Library
GTRI faculty/staff: Please contact Bette Finn for free one-on-one in-depth and quick assistance searching the Library databases and the DTIC R&E Gateway reports databases on your research topics, and for group instruction.
DTIC R&E Gateway access controlled reports database
Department of Defense, DTIC R&E Gateway. The Georgia Tech Library offers free mediated searches of the DTIC R&E Gateway access controlled technical reports databases. Searches are limited to qualified Georgia Tech researchers with the proper security clearances. For further information contact Bette Finn at email@example.com.
Issues trying to access databases?
E-Resource Access & OpenAthens @ GeorgiaTech
Accessing Georgia Tech electronic resources, both on and off-campus see: Subject Guide: E-Resource Access & Open Athens @ GeorgiaTech
While accessing e-resources off-campus, you may notice an OpenAthens login screen. The OpenAthens screen will ask you to identify your home. Use the "Login via your institution: Other Institution Login" (box, right column of screen) then "Find your organization" or "Find your institution" to search for Georgia or Georgia Tech or Georgia Institute (Georgia Institute of Technology or Georgia Tech); the OpenAthens list may not be alphabetical. See example. From there, use the Georgia Tech login service and you will be given access to the resource.
If you see a different screen, you may need to look for sign in or login links, usually at the top; you might be asked to select your Federation, which is OpenAthens Federation or Open Athens Federation.
About Library's OpenAthens Authentication service: OpenAthens Frequently Asked Questions or OpenAthens FAQ. See other examples (Open Athens Tips and FAQs, with screen examples)
Begin at the Library home page, choosing Databases, e-Journals (electronic), or the Library Catalog. A list of all databases is at http://libguides.gatech.edu/az.php (top row "Find, Borrow, Request" - "Find Materials" "Databases" then search by database name in the search box, or search the database name alphabetically or by subject). For one-on-one quick and in-depth database search assistance: contact Bette Finn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have e-journal, e-book, or database access questions or problems: "Report an eResource Issue"