Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
REVAMP REU handouts. May 23, 2019
Research Process - GT Library Research Guides
- Research Guides. Guides are compiled by Georgia Tech librarians. Organized by Subject and by Type
- Databases. Index individual articles in journals and other sources. Bibliographic and full text databases
- Library Catalog lists books/e-books, theses, journal TITLES, and other material in the Library collection, both print and electronic
- Click on "Request" to have print books retrieved (after "Sign-in")
- "View It” or “View Online” – view electronic full text
- For circulation questions, ask the Public Services associates at the Library Store (Crosland Library, Grove Level, Ground Floor). Phone 404-894-4500..
- A checked-out book is subject to recall after 21 days.
- Library Classes
- Evaluating Internet Resources. Ethics
- Book databases
Ask for Assistance!
Subject Librarians. Provide quick and in-depth assistance searching the Library's databases. Quick assistance by e-mail and in-depth assistance in-person by appointment.
For circulation (book check-out) assistance, contact Public Services at the Library Store, Crosland Tower, Grove Level, Ground Floor. Phone: 404-894-4500.
Selected Databases and Research Guides:
Search hints comparison charts: Advanced (Engineering Village, ProQuest, Web of Science); EBSCO
Georgia Tech Library's Catalog (books, etc.)
- Library Catalog searches for books, e-books, theses, journal TITLES, media, archival materials, maps, and other material in the Georgia Tech Library collection. Print and electronic
- "Get It" "SIGN IN to request books" to retrieve print books
- Recall checked-out books. You can ask an associate at the Library Store (Crosland Tower, Grove Level, Ground Floor, 404-894-4530) to recall a checked out print book. A checked-out book is subject to recall after 21 days
- "View It" "Online access" "View Online" for electronic holdings.
- Some records contain holdings for both electronic and print formats
- Catalog search hints: slides http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bw21/2gil.pdf or http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~bw21/gilei.htm
Engineering and Technology
- Primary engineering databases (combine together - check both boxes): Compendex and Inspec
- Compendex (Engineering Village). Engineering 1884+ Contains almost 7.5 million records referencing 5,000 major engineering journals and major engineering conference materials. Combine with Inspec database (20% overlap)
- Inspec (Engineering Village). 1896+ Over 3,500 scientific and technical journals and some 1,500 conference proceedings, as well as selected books, reports and dissertations in the areas of electrical engineering, computer engineering, physics, electronics, communications, computers and control, mechanical and production engineering, and information technology in business. Combine with the Compendex engineering database (20% overlap)
- Applied Science and Technology Abstracts (EBSCO) 1913+ Indexes major applied science technology journals and other publications
- Materials Science and Engineering Database (ProQuest) 1966+ Materials science, metallurgy, ceramics, polymers, and composites used in engineering applications. Can combine with other ProQuest databases such as Aerospace Database
- Advanced Technologies and Aerospace Database (ProQuest) 1967+ Aerospace and automotive
- NTIS (ProQuest) Technical research reports NTIS 1964+ Citations and abstracts from unclassified government-sponsored research. See the Technical Reports Research Guide for full text options
- Engineering databases by subject (drop down menu, top left): Aerospace ; Biomedical ; Civil and Environmental ; Electrical and Computer ; Industrial and Systems ; Materials Science ; Mechanical and Nuclear.
- Selected engineering databases, arranged by topic
- Engineering Research Guides: Aerospace Engineering ; Biomedical Engineering ; Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering ; Civil Engineering ; Environmental Engineering ; Industrial & Systems Engineering ; Logistics & Transportation ; Mechanical Engineering ; Nuclear Engineering ; Operations Research ; Optimization ; Patents & Trademarks ; Standards ; Technical Reports ; Transportation Engineering
Business, Industry, Company, Product, and Management Information
- ABI/INFORM Collection (ProQuest). Management science, company information, and business. Scholarly and trade journal articles, market reports, industry reports, business cases and global and trade news. Use "NOFT" to search bibliographic fields ("Anywhere except full text - NOFT"). Can conduct narrow customized searches.
- Research Guides: Business & Management ; Company Information ; Georgia & Atlanta Business ; Industry Information ; International Business
- Note "TABS" (top row) for Company Profiles, Industry Profiles, Market Share, Business Rankings, Company directories. Industry surveys are good for broad industries
- Databases: Business & Management, Company, Industry, Directories, Georgia & Atlanta Business
- NTIS (ProQuest) 1964+ Technical research reports
- Citations and abstracts from unclassified government-sponsored research reports from the Department of Energy, Department of Defense, NASA, EPA, and other federal agencies, and selected international government departments and organizations
- Do NOT limit to Full Text and do NOT limit to Peer Reviewed or Scholarly
- The Find It @GT command does NOT work, since nearly all reports are NOT in the Library Catalog
- See the Technical Reports Research Guide for full text options
- The Georgia Tech library owns over 2,500,000 technical reports (microfiche collection)
- Selected full text reports are available through agency internet sites (DOE, DoD, NASA/NACA, EPA, ERIC)
Medicine, Biological Sciences
- Derwent Innovations Index (Clarivat Analytics, formerly Thomson Reuters). Good for keyword searching. 1963+ Derwent Innovations Index facilitates precise patent searching and merges the value-added patent information from Derwent World Patents Index with the patent citation information from Derwent Patent Citation Index
- Free sites for downloading/printing full image U.S. patents: (1) United States Patent & Trademark database search http://patft.uspto.gov/ ; (2) pat2pdf.org ; (3) Patent Fetcher ; (4) espcenet, U.S. and selected worldwide patents http://worldwide.espacenet.com/, (5) WIPO ; (6) Google search
- Patents & Trademarks Research Guide Patents Guide compiled by Lisha Li, Georgia Tech representative to the United States Patent and Trademark Resource Centers program
- Research Library (ProQuest): general database (all topics). Approximate half of the records are full text. Find It @GT links to selected full text Library subscription journal articles. Use "NOFT" to search bibliographic fields (not full text fields) or search specific fields such as title or author.
- Academic Search Ultimate (EBSCO)
Database comparison charts, search tips:
All Research Guides
Issues trying to access databases?
E-Resource Access & OpenAthens @ GeorgiaTech (accessing Georgia Tech e-resources, both on and off-campus): http://libguides.gatech.edu/accessing_eresources/info_tips
While accessing e-resources off-campus, you may notice an OpenAthens login screen. The OpenAthens screen will ask you to identify your home. Use the "Login via your institution: Other Institution Login" (box, right column of screen) then "Find your organization" or "Find your institution" to search for Georgia or Georgia Tech or Georgia Institute (Georgia Institute of Technology or Georgia Tech); the OpenAthens list may not be alphabetical. See example. From there, use the Georgia Tech login service and you will be given access to the resource.
If you see a different screen, you may need to look for sign in or login links, usually at the top; you might be asked to select your Federation, which is OpenAthens Federation or Open Athens Federation.
Learn about the Library's OpenAthens Authentication service at OpenAthens Frequently Asked Questions or OpenAthens FAQ. See other examples (Open Athens Tips and FAQs, with screen examples)
Begin at the Library home page, choosing Databases, e-Journals (electronic), or the Library Catalog. A list of all databases is at http://libguides.gatech.edu/az.php (top row "Find, Borrow, Request" - "Find Materials" "Databases" then search by database name in the search box, or search the database name alphabetically or by subject). For one-on-one quick and in-depth database search assistance: contact Bette Finn at email@example.com.
If you have e-journal, e-book, or database access questions or problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.