Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Sources of Background Information
Background information can be found in:
- general encyclopedias
- subject-specific encyclopedias
- article databases
These and other sources are often listed on our research guides.
Purpose of Background Research
Once you have identified some keywords, the next step is to find background information on your topic. Background research:
- Provides a good overview of the topic if you are unfamiliar with it.
- Helps identify important facts -- terminology, dates, events, history, organizations, etc.
- Can help refine your topic.
- Leads to bibliographies which provide additional sources of information.